This week I will turn 40! So far I haven't jumped off the deep end and freaked out, unless you call eating an entire box of Chips Ahoy and a carton of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream a problem (I call it normal). Truth be told, I can't believe I even made it to this age. Like all of us, I've been handed a shuffled deck of cards filled with problems, disappointments, and loss. I've also been given a few aces along the way. I've made it. The big 4-0. Yikes. And to show how much amazing wisdom (ha!) I've gained, I've decided to share my Top Twenty Favorite quotes that have changed my life. It goes hand in hand with my Instagram @themoonlightmom where I share quotes daily (shameless plug, but feel free to follow me).
But in all seriousness, I must confess this life has been an interesting roller coaster of wild ups and scary downs, yet through it all I've managed to make it to 40 with a life I could've only dreamed about. Don't get me wrong, I haven't won the actual lottery yet (I'm in talks with God about it), but in the grand scheme of things I've kind of already won the lottery of life with three amazing children and a husband who is my best friend. I have food on my table and friends and family that I love. Sure, there have been times of sickness, anxiety, abandonment, poverty, betrayal, and heartache; but, those are the experiences that have molded me into the unique person I am today. And, at 40 years-old, I actually like me. Nah, I can positively tell you that I love me (disclaimer-this took years of counseling and cookies).
I was reflecting on my life yesterday and I wondered what I'd tell my younger self, if I could meet her. And, since I'm a big movie buff and I love motivational videos. I'd simply give her the awesome words of Rocky Balboa:
"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that!" - Rocky Balboa
So, here I sit, typing at my desk with a smile on my face, a cup of hot cocoa, a few chocolate chips cookies, about 30 pounds to lose, an almost overdrawn bank account, a less than par credit score, a healthy body, two dogs looking up at me, three children at work/school, and a husband who is snoring in the bed just besides me. And, you know what? Life has hit me, but it didn't keep me down.
I wish the same for you.
1. "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney
2. "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." - C.S. Lewis
3. "Don't let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace." - Dalai Lama
4. "Make a conscious effort to surround yourself with positive, nourishing, and uplifting people. People who believe in you, encourage you to go after your dreams, and applaud your victories." - Jack Canfield
5. "Your experiences will be yours alone. But truth and best friendship will rarely if ever disappoint you." - Anne Lamott
6. "It always seems impossible until it's done." - Nelson Mandela
7. "It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all--in which case, you fail by default." -J.K. Rowling
8. "Spread love everywhere you go, let no one ever come to you without leaving happier." -Mother Teresa
9. "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." - Maya Angelou
10. "When you want something, all the universe conspires to help you achieve it." - Paulo Coelho
11. "If you want to fly you have to give up the shit that weighs you down." - Toni Morrison
12. "Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me." - Psalms 27:10
13. "I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn." - Anne Frank
14. "Some people are worth melting for." - Olaf (Frozen)
15. "Waking up this morning I smile. Twenty-four new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh
16. "One of the oldest and most generous tricks that the universe plays on human beings is to bury strange jewels within us all, and then stand back to see if we can ever find them." - Elizabeth Gilbert
17. "Love God. Love people. Do stuff." -Bob Goff
18. "The only way to do great work is to live what you do." -Steve Jobs
19. "You had the power all along, my dear." -Glenda, The Good Witch
20. "I decided that the most subversive, revolutionary thing I could do was to show up for my life and not be ashamed." -Anne Lamott
So, there you have it! 20 Awesome quotes that have impacted me. All quotes from folks I admire. I hope you found a few that you enjoyed. Remember to follow me on Instagram for daily quotes, motivations, and stories (@themoonlightmom).
-C a r o l